HOME | ABOUT WCAA | WHY JOIN | EDUCATION | WCAA STORE | FAQS | FORUM | PRESS | CONTACT  
Site Search:
WCAA Logo
A membership that helps you grow... Professionally, Personally, and Financially 888.298.9222
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to charge for a 20' rod

Name
    Kimberley Chagnon
    City
    Greenfield
    State/Province
    MA
    Country
    United States

How to charge for a 20' rod

Hello all,

I am working with a client who has a traverse rod that is 280"W and is 20' up. She wants it restrung and a second one installed that is as high but only 4' wide. How would you charge for this? I have never done one quite that high.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kim

Name
    Jenna Abbott
    City
    Gold River
    State/Province
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Hi Kim!
    That sounds like quite a project. Yikes! 20 feet up huh?

I reached out to a couple of our experts for answers. I'm sure they'll be along in just a few to weigh in on your question.
    Jenna

Name
    Ramon Hardy
    City
    Richmond
    State/Province
    VA
    Country
    United States
    Hey Kim

Things to consider about this job:

• Will you have to remove the 20’ rod to re-string it?
    • Will you have to hire a helper to assist you with the install?
    • Do you have the equipment and supplies (ladders, cord, etc.)?
    • How old is the existing rod, if it is over twenty years old you will be better off selling them new hardware.

You can charge by the hour or you can charge by the project.

• Charging by the hour (your hourly rate $$) you can figure out how many hours it will take you to complete the project and then add your cost for supplies, equipment or helper (if needed) charge an hourly rate for your time plus supply cost. Add one or two additional hour for your worst case scenarios.
    • Charging by the project come from years of experience good and bad. Years of experiences give a good idea of cost, time and benefits.

Things I would consider before taking on the project:

• Travel mileage and trip charges: Trip charge $50 to $75 for any distances up to 25 miles, any additional mileage over your 25 miles will be figured at a dollar a mile (round trip miles).

• I charge an additional fee for installing any hardware above 8ft. That could be in the neighborhood of $50 to $100 according to difficulty.

• What type of wall surface at you installing in: block, concrete or plaster surfaces should be an up charge.

• Hanging, dressing and steaming draperies could be an additional cost (if needed).

• Remember you are not getting paid for hanging a drapery rod you are getting compensated for knowing how to hang the drapery rod for years of trouble free operation.

Ramon

+ Reply to Thread